Well we all know winter is upon us here in Sydney. When I see kids with jackets on I know (mercifully) it’s not just me feeling it…it really is cold. I think we should enjoy winter, roasted chestnuts, hot drinks, warm soft blankets, dark (80%) chocolate, red wine – you get the idea. By the time winter gets here I am SOO ready to snuggle in – I may just have been a bear in a previous life 🙂
I am SO glad we have not been bombarded this year with the annual flu scare… or maybe because we don’t have a TV I’ve missed it. Being an eternal optimist and a natural health practitioner; I hope we have stopped badgering our most vulnerable to batter their bodies with a vaccine. The number of people I have heard over the years say things like “had the flu vaccine and haven’t felt right since…” is astonishing, and yet they continue doing it. Really there are infinitely more sensible ways to get through winter than with a vaccine, antibiotics or over the counter drugs and by soldiering on… So I have put together a check list of suggestions for getting through winter optimally. Here is a how to prevent a cold
1. Optimise your gut because 2/3 your immune system is in your gut – support it:
- GOOD (sugar free) probiotics
- Pre-biotics: why? Because they make a good environment for your pro-biotics.
- Digestive enzymes why? Helps your system digest food
- Replace sugar Why? Among other things it suppresses the immune system & feeds cancer cells
- Eat fermented foods (e.g. yoghurt (no sugar), kefir, sauerkraut, miso, kim-chi etc.)
- Use foods and supplements to eliminate bad bacteria e.g. Apple Cider Vinegar
2. Eat Real Food – Let Food be Your Medicine
- Minimise processed food – it’s easier than you think
- Identify what eating regime suits your sex, age, health profile and body – we’re all different!
- Use a slow cooker: breakfast and dinner
- Slow cooked broths are GREAT for immunity (12+ hours)
- Explore super-foods such as Old fashioned ones: berries, salmon, nuts etc. Or the ‘newer’ ones e.g. Maca, Chia, Spirulina (sea veg in general) etc.
- Eat for your sex, age and activity level; we have different needs
3. Replace toxic chemicals in your house and life because chemicals stress your body (this alone can work wonders)
- Use non-toxic cleaning products e.g. bicarb soda and vinegar, lemon juice, salt or some safe reputable bands (call for more info)
- Use non-toxic personal care products use safe reputable bands (call for more info)
- Replace over the counter drugs with non-chemical options such as Tissue salts, Herbs, Herbal tea, Reflexology, etc.
4. Sleep: Get what you need and make sure you set up the best conditions to sleep. Sleep is a habit- change yours if necessary: reduce light, noise, comfortable temperature etc.
5. Supplement (especially if you eat processed foods, lot of stressors, aren’t sleeping, are unwell)
- Take plant based supplements, not synthetic
- Take it at night before bed; your body repairs at night
- Think about minerals – e.g. magnesium, Zinc etc
6. Minimise stressors
- Identify stressors and make plans to eliminate them. How?:
- Living Calm consult
- Learn to breath properly: reduce over-breathing e.g. Buteyko
- Introduce or Increase relaxation time daily (start with 5mins)
- Conscious quiet or reflection time
- Use a Shakti Mat
- Use relaxation and or subliminal CD’s
- Develop the skills you need to minimise stressors
7. Unwell? REST…there’s a radical suggestion. Resist the temptation to ‘soldier on’ Rest up to feel better sooner and recover faster
8. Treat (don’t squash) the symptoms e.g.:
- Homeopathic Flu Mix ASAP (contact for more info)
- Tissue salts – Ferrum Phos or Illness Onset blend ASAP
- Nasal irrigation (salt water)
- Inhalation blocked nose/head cold (e.g. eucalyptus or tea tree)
- Essential oils (electric oil burner if using at night)
- Lemon, ginger and honey Tea (see site for variations)
- Sage tea (throat)
- Home made slow cooked broth (12 – 24 hours)
Health By The Bay uses a variety of modalities to help you get the best health outcomes. So whether you are in Sydney, Rockdale, Campsie, Canberra, Melbourne or wherever please feel free to contact us for more information.